- Chilling new book has unearthered thousands of complicit German women
- At least half a million witnessed and contributed to Hitler's terror
- Have been dubbed the ‘primary witnesses of the Holocaust’
- Secretaries typed the orders to kill and filed the details of massacres
- Only a small number of women were called to account for their crimes
|At the heart of Nazi killings: Irma Grese was a concentration camp guard and one of the few women to be called to account for her crimes|
Ironically, it was the professional carers who were the first to be caught in this evil web. From the moment the Nazis came to power and imposed policies of Aryan racial purity, countless nurses, their aprons filled with morphine vials and needles, routinely slaughtered the physically disabled and mentally defective.
Complicit: Johanner Altvater (left) and Lisolotte Meirer (right) killed Jews for sport during the Third Reich
In the early phases of the Holocaust, massacres were generally by shooting. In her area of Belarus, she coordinated the arrangements with the executioners and even decided who lived and who died.